White Rabbit Teahouse

Having a few days of freedom from the daily grind of work over the past week I arranged to meet my Mum in Nottingham for a rare few hours of shopping and some lunch. This was my first visit to the actual city having only been to Sherwood Forest itself previously. Expecting the usual fodder of high street 'chain' pit stops, it was a relief when my Mum, a fellow foodie, had done the groundwork investigation and suggested the White Rabbit Teahouse, an independent cafe, in a little side street just off the main drag.


I loved it immediately, small and snug it was a welcome haven from the icily biting East wind. Stuffed full of old chairs and tables, gingham and floral oil cloth topped tables and vintage tea pots and cups it was a delight. We were obviously not the only ones to think so as it was packed but we found a spare seat and squeezed in. There were two specials on the blackboard, homemade quiche and salad and soup with a bread roll, both around £5-6. Sadly the soup had just sold out (it did look good, although I never got to find out what sort it was) so we opted for a quiche and toasted ham and cheese sandwich with a couple of coffees. Service was friendly and quick and lunch soon arrived. 


If I was to be brutal, I would say that I expected a little more flair with the food. The quiche was individual and arrived with a small roll and salad and the toasted sandwich was rather plain given the price. It may be that our choices were not great or that we had too high an expectation (being greedy gluttons) and this is only if was being extremely harsh. It is the charm of this place that makes it work, the friendly smiling service, the attention to detail (rabbit salt and pepper pots on each table, charming rabbit brass door knocker, individual vintage crockery). I would happily return any time as it's such a relief from the monotony of Starbucks, Costa and Pret. Definitely one to keep in mind if you need a break from shopping and fancy a cosy lunch in Nottingham. Recommended.

Comments

  1. This looks like my kind of place. I'd love to visit Nottingham sometime soon (though my motivation is also mainly to see the big old trees in Shewrwood), so I'll make a note of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically I sat there with my Mum and we both said it was exactly the sort of place we'd like to run! Love that their web site has a 'donate your vintage crockery' section too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts