Courgettes & Miso

First day back at work and also the hottest day of the year so far, typical! Still in keeping with the budget, I walked from station to station rather than my usual curling up on the top deck with a copy of the Metro. Now that I am back at work, most of my meals are eaten from plastic tubs, luckily I have quite a collection.

Breakfast, eaten wedged into my seat next to a large man in a suit, was my normal yogurt,  fruit and granola. This is my staple on my daily commute unless I forget in which case it may be a sneaky Danish from the station. Being very organised this week I made enough granola for two weeks on Sunday, so spooning some in a tub will be no effort at all.

No recipe needed, just all the remaining nuts and seeds in the house!
Lunch was a 'fridge raider' salad, basically any old remaining salad ingredients dressed in a little extra virgin. With it I made a courgette paté, mainly to use up those grown in the garden and provide an extra thrifty lunch. Ideally, this would best served with some toasted pitta bread but I had to make do with two out of a bag.

Courgette (Zucchini) Paté
A handful of courgettes (2 or 3 larger ones or at least 6 very small ones)
Glug of olive oil
Couple of garlic cloves
Teaspoon or two of dried chilli flakes (depending on how spicy you like your food)
Half a tub of ricotta (approx 150g)
Squeeze of lemon juice
Handful of chopped mint and chives
Salt and pepper

Warm the olive oil and gently soften the garlic with the chilli flakes in a saucepan. Roughly chop the courgettes and add to the pan and cook slowly with the lid on for about 20 minutes and then with the lid off if they give off a lot of water (larger ones will give off quite a bit) until most are reduced to a pulp with some chunky bits. Allow to cool and then roughly mash in the ricotta, lemon juice, chopped herbs and seasoning. Serve with toasted pitta bread.

Another way to use up a glut
Dinner tonight was a simple miso broth with carrot, spring onion, chilli and ginger, some of the leftover spinach from Saturday, leftover roast chicken from Sunday and some rice noodles. Simple, delicious and very thrifty indeed.

Leftover roast chicken in a miso broth with spinach and noodles



Comments

Popular Posts